EPPIC Statewide Services is a dedicated education, training and service development program that specialises in first episode psychosis.
EPPIC Statewide Services is focused on knowledge transfer and the dissemination of the latest evidence and clinical applications of the EPPIC model, with a view to providing young people experiencing their first episode of psychosis access to the best possible care and treatment. EPPIC Statewide Services provides service development support and activities to the Victorian Youth Early Psychosis services based on the needs of each service.
EPPIC Statewide Services is funded by the Mental Health Branch of the Department of Human Services to assist Victorian public mental health services to optimise their response to young people with emerging psychotic disorders.
To find out more about ESW’s current calendar year of workshops go to this page for more information about the types of training we offer.
For further information about arranging specialised workshops or training please phone: 03 9342 3744, or email us through our contact page.
When establishing a new early psychosis service or implementing a new focus within an existing service, great care needs to be taken that the service is appropriate and sustainable. After the success of the EPPIC model, a book was published to guide new services, detailing the many aspects of setting up a service and coming up with a 9 step model to service implementation*.
Key elements in service development include:
- Set your philosophy
- Set the boundary conditions for early psychosis: such as age and diagnosis
- Assess the current service use and population needs
- Set the early psychosis scene: through staff training, awareness raising, inter-service communication etc.
- Identify an early psychosis workforce: from clinicians to researchers to administration
- Define the focus: including clinical work (from detection and assessment to treatment), specialist services (family, group, drug and alcohol), resources needed etc.
- Develop a written plan
- Implement key service components
- Monitor and review
*Implementing Early Intervention in Psychosis: A Guide to Establishing Early Psychosis Services. Edwards and McGorry. Dunitz 2002.